Also on eBay
above from the Burbank Road Kings Car show, June 9, 2019
walk-around at the Burbank Kiwanis Car Show April 28, 2019
third generation of the Maserati Quattroporte (Tipo AM 330) was developed
under the Alejandro de Tomaso-GEPI ownership...the third generation
went back to the classic formula of rear-wheel drive and a large
Maserati V8 engine (4930cc/280hp 4x2bbl
Weber carbs). The
exterior design was penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro."
Quattroporte III marked the last of the hand-built Italian cars; all
exterior joints and seams were filled to give a seamless appearance."
is a unique Italian classic which now runs and drives very well.
agrees - "The Maserati Quattroporte is Brutally Beautiful"!
Hagerty valuation guide: 1980 Quattroporte
Background, References to Articles
Chrysler A727 Automatic
Recommissioning work (by
previous owner in Honolulu unless Burbank is noted):
Alternator & Voltage Regulator
- Dash removed for
access to the A/C evaporator and to replace the sun-shrunken leather dash
- The instrument cluster
body plastic mounting lugs repaired.
- The instrument body was
assembled and mounted into the dash leather covered pod. The leather was replaced.
Extra leather from half-hide included with sale - $700 value
- Blend door with new foam installed.
- Evaporator leak repaired.
A/C and heater unit charged with Freon and bench tested for leaks.
- New heater valve
- After dash installed,
evacuated the A/C system and charged it with Freon. Cold air!
- Compressor clutch
shipping. After arrival in Burbank, the circuit was re-connected, the A/C
- Rebuilt and installed the alternator with new bearings.
- Installed a new internal regulator
- Installed new bearings for power steering and A/C compressor
Carbs & Intake
- Brake fluid
reservoir emptied and cleaned.
- Flushed and bled the brake system with
new, clean fluid.
- Rear calipers (inboard discs) previously rebuilt
- New pads for front and rear brakes.
- All calipers checked OK;
no signs of sticking or leaking
Dash & Console
- Intake manifold removed; carb
- Cleaned head surfaces and the
vee area of the block
- Carb tops removed off, float bowls and the accelerator pump jets cleaned
- Idle jets cleaned and new O-rings on the holders installed
- Throttle linkage joints and bearings cleaned and lubricated
and tested the micro-switch that activates a solenoid valve in the vacuum
line to the distributor for emission control - retards ignition timing
when the throttles are closed.
- The air box
flapper valves now working as expected.
- Cleaned the connector
plug and checked continuity to the solenoid valve.
- Cleaned the
connector plug to the switch for the "choke on" warning light.
- Air cleaner electric pumps installed for "snorkel" vacuum operated flapper valves to trap
evaporative emissions when the engine is off.
- Wiring and
vacuum lines to the ignition retard solenoid checked and working.
- Timing for advance and retard checked within spec.
- Engine started March, 2018 and reported running very well.
- Cruise control assembly removed, included with sale.
Weber carburetor diaphragms replaced by Alfa Italia (Burbank), May 2019.
- A/C controls installed to the
console. Tested and working. The panel push buttons control all the vacuum
operated blend doors for A/C, heat, and defrost, a lever that operates the
heater water valve, and the switch for the four speed fan - checked and working properly.
- Fused voltage supply and an additional relay added for all three
interior lights working. On when a door is opened and go off
when the door is closed. All three lights can be turned on
independently from inside the car.
- "Bulb failure device" warning light diagnosed; partially
- Radio and powered antenna installed and working
- All windows operate from console switches.
- Interior lights operate when doors open or are closed
- Switch to control interior lights when the doors are closed checked
- Door buttons lock and unlock when opened with key or from console.
Exhaust & Headers
- Checked and adjusted the cam chain tension
- Checked cam valve clearances.
- Thermostat cover and water
outlet on the manifold repaired to cure a water leak.
- Engine oil changed
- Oil and fuel filters changed.
- Engine cleaned and detailed for car shows (Burbank).
- Both headers ceramic coated.
- New exhaust rubber hangers installed for the
New after market fuel pump and fabricated bracket
installed. Both original fuel pumps included with the car
Gas tank removed and cleaned (Alfa Italia, Burbank)
gauge - intermittent, likely caused by tank sediment. Techron added
during several Burbank tank fills, the gauge shows a fluctuating but mostly correct
- New distributor pickup/sensor wires installed
- New spark plugs.
- Original owner's manual and its
leather pouch in glove box
- Trunk - re-assembled; carpeted box at the right, front, top of
the trunk covers the radio antenna motor. Original bag, jack,
lug wrench, and handle checked as complete. No tool roll.
- Used, "as-new"
console cover replaced the worn/torn original (Burbank).
- Seats and all leather surfaces treated with Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil,
cleaned with Prestine Clean (Burbank).
- Sheepskin covers protected front seats for many years were replaced
with "Kool Kooshion Faux Leather Full Seat Cushions".
Easily removed for car shows or leather maintenance (Burbank).
- Carpets - original
insulation was hard, brittle and
flaking off. Ensolite foam (1/8") from the Foam
Mart, Burbank was glued to the four carpet sections.
Headliner cleaned (Burbank).
- Radiator cooling fan motors disassembled, bearings
lubricated. Brushes, armature, and commutator checked OK
- Area of the cooling system header tank
and the transmission oil cooler (in the left front fender well) cleaned
and rust- proofed
- Radiator removed, fins straightened, pressure tested, painted,
Low coolant warning light sending unit cleaned and checked
New thermostatic switch for
the radiator fans installed.
Two new relays and heavy duty blade type fuse
holders for the radiator cooling fans installed. Both fans also come on when the A/C is
operating so that the A/C condenser in front of the radiator is cooled
- One tie rod boot replaced; internal plastic socket replaced
- Four new Kumho Solus 225/70/15 tires
installed and balanced (2 in Burbank).
- Wheels cleaned before tire installation
inside and out
- Spare tire (replaced Pirelli) cleaned and in the
well in the trunk.
- Installed new transmission oil
- New oil filter installed.
Fluid drained and new filter installed
gearbox mount installed
- Removable inner fender splash shield where air horn, windscreen washer
pump, headlight washer pump, and the washer reservoir are located (right front fender area
was sand blasted, primed, and painted. All wiring was cleaned and repaired.
Brake lights wiring was check and confirmed all working.
"C" pillar repair - sand blasted the rust areas
at the rear quarter trident emblem. Surface filled, rust-proofed and primed.
Metallizzato" paint matched by Master Auto Parts
(Sun Valley) and sprayed on the "C" pillar on October 22,
2018. Remaining paint, reducer and hardener included with the car for touch-ups.
support struts for hood and trunk replaced with new Sachs and StrongArm parts.
Trunk opens with the
console button, as designed (Burbank).
Original paint on all horizontal surfaces was severely
weathered/ sun-burned. After arrival in Burbank, faded surfaces were
sanded with 1600 paper, smoothed with rubbing
compound, polished and waxed. Video
of partly polished roof.
The Quattroporte appearance is "as found,
original". Small rust areas on the lower doors and
front fenders can be cut out and patched with sheet metal to
Hawaii Safety Check, Registration & Shipping
- All window motors cleaned, checked and operate
- Aluminum panel barriers installed to close up the access openings
on both front doors between the inside of the door and the interior trim panel.
Provides a good seal and stiffens the door.
tint film - old film was removed and all windows cleaned with
to qualify for a Hawaii safety
check and historical vehicle registration.
First stage of the Hawaii safety check was completed on April 13, 2018.
The safety check
was completed on April 20, 2018
Maserati was then State of Hawaii
road-legal for the first time since March, 2011!
May 10, 2018 - Maserati taken to the Pasha depot in Honolulu.
May 30, 2018 - Maserati picked up in Buena Park; then
All re-commissioning work by seller/professional
mechanic in Honolulu is fully described and documented in 57
emails, with photos, from November 27, 2016 through May 10, 2018.
California Registration and Smog Certificate
certificate - Alfa Italia (Burbank) checked the timing and the carbs before a
smog test at the In and Out test center. Maserati passed on
August 22, 2018
California registration - completed at AAA on August
Personalized "MASERQ" Veterans plate added
Photos below from the Burbank Kiwanis Car Show,
April 28, 2019
At the Best of France and Italy 2018 show, November 4,
2018 Woodley Park:
In Burbank, 2018
to see a video "walk-around"!
Paint rejuvenation started in Burbank, June 2018
This video is a Brown
Metallizzato Quattroporte for sale in June 2017: https://youtu.be/swQpyBSCAgE
Maserati Page - Quattroporte III
Maserati Page - Quattroporte III Articles
Maserati Quattroporte is Brutally Beautiful" (Petrolicious)
& Track, July 1981
III by Ermanno Cozza
III Photo Gallery and Sales Brochures from Quattroporte.Info/Andreas Rief
the 1979-1990 Maserati Quattroporte III
Hagerty Valuation Guide)
Maserati revived the
Quattroporte name at the 1977 Turin auto show with a radically new
Quattroporte III. Unlike the Citroen-based Quattroporte II of the
mid-1970s, the stately Quattroporte III sedan carried attractive bodywork
by Giugiaro and Italdesign, had an absolutely opulent interior that
featured loosely tucked leather throughout, and used a powerful motor to
drive the car's rear wheels.
Production of the Quattroporte
III began in 1979 with a 255-hp, four-cam, 4.2-liter V-8, with a 280-hp
4.9-liter version of this motor being available shortly thereafter. These
engines sent their power to the rear wheels through either a ZF five-speed
transmission, or a Borg Warner automatic that quickly gave way to a
Chrysler Torqueflite box early in production. Otherwise, the Quattroporte
III saw minimal changes throughout its 11-year production run, and by 1990
just over 2,100 examples of this imposing, 140-mph executive express were
produced. Most of the models had been made by 1987, with approximately 55
revised "Royale" versions completed thereafter. A few examples
of a stretched limousine version were built as well.
When searching for a Maserati
Quattroporte III today, buyers should remember that the models are complex
cars that sell at a relatively low price, with rust and electrical
gremlins being the two areas that can swallow up cash very quickly. If a
QPorte is needy in these two areas, an owner can easily surpass the value
of the car in repair and restoration bills--examples such as this are
better off as parts cars. The suspension can wear quickly as well, however
replacement pieces are readily available with Pantera front suspension
parts being an exact match for most of the front suspension. With this in
mind, healthy Maserati Quattroporte IIIs are powerful, imposing, and
comfortable four-door touring cars. The model also enjoys a vibrant online
support network that is rabidly enthusiastic about this Italian exotic
that exists in a class of one.
Hagerty Price Guide Jan - Apr 2019
1980 Maserati Quattroporte III
1980 Maserati Quattroporte III
Body Styles: 4dr Sedan
Engine Types: 8-cyl.
Z - COUNTRY:Italy
A - MAKE:Maserati
M - VEHICLE TYPE:
B - BODY STYLE:
C - ENGINE:8-cyl.4930cc/288hp 4x2bbl
1 - PRICE CLASS:
data not available
1 - RESTRAINT
SYSTEM: Active Belts
0 - SERIES:
0 - CHECK DIGIT:
data not available
E - YEAR:1984
0 - ASSEMBLY
3 0 - CHASSIS
0 0 0 0 - SERIAL
NUMBER: data not available